Nowadays, there are a variety of alternative treatments for our pets because of the innovations and medical advancements around the world. Holistic treatments are growing in popularity and one of these special treatments is acupuncture for dogs. So, you may be asking yourself, how can acupuncture help my dog?
What is Acupuncture for Dogs?
Generally speaking, acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medicine that involves inserting needles into specific meridians, with each corresponding to an organ in the body. The idea is to restore balance to the body through specific reactions caused by the needles.
Acupuncture has since developed into several techniques which can be applied to animals of all kinds. Acupuncture for dogs has become very popular, and it works in dogs the same way it works in humans. Reactions are stimulated by the needles in the nerve endings and this stimulation is driven to the brain.
How Can Acupuncture Help My Dog?
Acupuncture for your dog can help to treat various diseases and conditions. It is a treatment that can help to eliminate the disease from your dog and not just relieve the symptoms, which is contrary to popular opinion.
Some of the ailments that acupuncture can help treat in dogs are:
• Respiratory diseases such as asthma
• Muscle diseases
• Reproductive system related disease
• Problems related to bone disease (hip dysplasia can be treated by acupuncture, as well as arthritis, etc.)
• Gastro-intestinal system related problems (diarrhea, gastritis, etc)
• Cancer in dogs
• Neurological disorders (convulsions and paralysis)
• Aid in recovery after your dog has undergone a surgical procedure
• Eyes diseases
Benefits of Using Acupuncture for Your Dog
Acupuncture is a natural method of treatment and it’s safe to let your dog undergo this if need be. Apart from the fact that it can actually treat the problem and not only the symptoms, acupuncture has so many other benefits to your dog.
- Acupuncture is almost painless and can be applied to any type of dog.
- It has almost no side effects resulting from the treatment.
- If necessary, you can use acupuncture as a complementary treatment at the same time as a medically prescribed conventional treatment.
- It also helps to relieve your dog of its aches.
- Because it is a technique that balances your dog’s body, it can be effective when conventional treatment becomes unsuccessful, and help improve your dog’s quality of life.
Holistic Vets in the Orlando Area
Here are some vets that use acupuncture in the Greater Orlando area. I have personally used Animal Healing Solutions and Dr. Fasano is excellent!
Has your dog received an alternative method of treatment such as acupuncture? We’d love to hear about it.