We have often been told that human food for dogs is a huge no-no. However, according to Dr. Khalsa’s book, “Natural Dog”, that is simply not true. In reality, making your own dog food can be very beneficial to your dog’s overall health and well-being. The key to cooking for your dog is to add a variety of foods that fulfill his nutritional needs. “Feeding your dog different foods and offering a variety of wholesome, healthful ingredients is just about the healthiest way to feed your dog,” says Dr. Khalsa. And, your dog, will love the variety. Think about it, would you like to eat the same food over and over again, day in and day out? Your dog probably feels the same way.
Tips for Making Your Own Dog Food
Before you decide to make your own dog food, you have to evaluate how much time you have. Will you prepare all of your dog’s food or simply spice up the kibble he already eats in order to add some variety and better nutrition? If you do not have a lot of time, you can simply supplement your dog’s high-quality kibble with some nutritious leftovers, some cooked veggies, pieces of raw meat or cooked fish, and so on.
Of course, it goes without saying but stay away from sweets, meat fat, bacon grease, spoiled or moldy foods. These are not good for your dog.
If you do decide to take the plunge and cook for your dog, be sure to do a lot of research and design the right diet for your dog. I cannot recommend Dr. Khalsa’s book “Natural Dog” enough. I use it for feeding my dogs and they absolutely love it!
Foods to Include in Your
Homeade Dog Food
Here are some key things to be sure and include when preparing your dog’s diet:
- Fresh vegetables – some can be given raw and some should be cooked. They can also make a nice, healthy treat for your pup
- Fresh fruit
- Grains – according to Dr. Khalsa, “a dog is not intended to be merely a carnivore; he also requires carbohydrates to remain in top physical shape. That’s why grains in their various forms are such an important component of a well-rounded canine diet – as long as you don’t try to feed them to your dog raw.”
- Eggs and milk products
- Meat – can be given raw, although fish should always be cooked
- Oils – olive oil and coconut oil are great sources of good fats for your dog and are packed with lots of nutrition
Again, it is important to do your research when planning your dog’s diet. Variety is essential in order for your dog to get all of the necessary nutrition.
Some Fruits and Vegetables That are No-no’s
While most fruits and vegetables that humans eat are just fine for dogs, there are a few that you should avoid.
- Grapes – studies have shown that eating grapes or grape skins can be toxic to dogs and can make them severely ill or even kill them
A Fun Frozen Treat for Your Dog
An easy, healthy, and fun frozen treat for your dog can be done quite quickly. You will need
- Yogurt (get goat yogurt if your dog has a sensitive digestive system)
- Frozen fruit of your choice
- Hollow toys, ice cube tray, or hollowed out marrow bones
Mix the fruit into the yogurt, place in the ice cube tray, hollow toy, or hollowed out marrow bone and put in the freezer until the mixture is solid. Your dog will love it!
Have you ever prepared your own dog’s food? What are some of your favorite recipes?
Latest posts by Caroline Kellam (see all)
- Getting a Cat? Our Complete Checklist for New Cat Owners - January 22, 2018
- Do You Really Need a Shampoo Designed for Dogs? - January 16, 2018
- The Dog-Bathing Dilemma: How Often Should I Bathe my Dog? - January 9, 2018